The Dancefloor... always great when it is full! Keeping the dancefloor full is a two-way street between the band and the bridal party. Here are our tips:
1. Tell The Wondertones the age profile of your guests. We will gauge the music from the stage, but we will have tailored our song choices to suit your guests.
2. Have the wedding dress pinned and the bridal party told to stay around, just to make sure the first dance gets underway quickly ;)
3. Sometimes your guests may need encouragement to hop on the dancefloor! It is a great help when the Happy Couple support the dance floor during the night.
4. The Bridal Party should also support the dancefloor, and encourage as many guests to participate in the craic!
5. Key dancing points for the Happy Couple are:
(A): First Dance
(C): Love Songs
(D): Last few Songs
What if the dancefloor empties?
Don't Worry. Sometimes your guests may not be dancers. On rare occasions, if this happens, we try to play a wide range of music to make sure that we cover all genres. Sometimes, we see guests relaxing at their tables and singing along with the music! We always deliver a strong vocal performance at every show, and some people just love a good old sing-along!
We will always alter the music to find a working formula. After 10 years on the road, we have a good idea of how to work a dancefloor ;) We also have key songs in our set to encourage audience participation. These key points can invigorate a dancefloor.
We constantly change our song list, and mixes to freshen up our set. We have a wide range of music and genres to ensure a great night!
Now...Don't forget those dancing shoes!
The First Dance. We have all seen those viral videos of the most amazing sequenced First Dances. Fancy a 'flash-mob'? (*nobody knows*, but everyone really does!). Still thinking about learning all of the dance moves to Ed Sheeran's "Thinking Out Loud"?
STOP! Here are some simple facts:
Some Couples are just not dancers.
Some Couples are shy.
Some Couples are not comfortable with the attention of a First Dance.
You don't need gimmicks, flash-mobs or rehearsed dance routines to have a memorable first dance. You are not expected to be Fred Astaire or Ginger Rogers.
Here are some tips from The Wondertones:
1. Don't Panic!
2. Pick a suitable song that you both like.
3. Pick a song that you can do a simple shuffle to.
4. Don't learn a routine. You will forget it. It will look unnatural.
5. Ask The Wondertones to bring in the bridal party after the first chorus (this will take the pressure off).
The Wondertones have a vast selection of First Dances for Galway Weddings on our website. We can learn a special song (provided it is within our range, and subject to a notice period of 4-6 weeks).
Go forth and select your First Dance!
Here are some links for DJ's we have worked with in the past...
DJ John Staunton
DJ Jason Shaughnessy
Midlands DJ's (Trevor)
DJ Paddy Healy - 087 638 5773
DJ Tommy Elliott
DJ Benen Tierney
DJ Aidan Connaughton
DJ Aidan Kenny
DJ Shane "Slopey" Donnellan - 087 941 1721
The DJ keeps the party going. We have worked with many great DJ's. The ones who stand out are those that can work the crowd. Generally, a great wedding DJ will:
1. Set up when the band sets up or during the tea-break.
2. Know what songs the band has already played, and not repeat any.
3. Have their own lighting system and a good clear sound system.
4. Interact with your guests, play requests... rock the boat!
5. Be ready to start the second The Wondertones finish.
6. DJ's commonly play from 12:15am to 2:15am for a wedding.
The Wondertones don't offer a DJ service, as we believe that all DJ's should be professionals and not just "one of the band" playing music whilst taking down the band equipment.
We always co-ordinate our music with the DJ to ensure that there is a seamless transition from band to DJ. We always tell the DJ what our last few songs are, just so there are no surprises.
We have worked with a lot of professional DJ's in the business and all professionals know the wedding protocol. You should be expecting to pay between €250 - €350* for a reputable DJ (*2017 Prices).
The Wondertones have many years’ experience in crafting the wedding song list to suit your audience. We watch your guests and we will gauge their expectations and reactions from the stage. If a certain genre of music is not working, we will quickly change and adapt to suit your guests.
In general, if you feel that your invited guests will be a young audience, then The Wondertones will tend towards a stronger ‘party’ set and limit our waltz & swing sets. If you feel that your invited guests may be a mature audience, then we will tend towards more Jives, Waltz & Swing type music and limit our Modern Rock Set.
We do not have a pre-determined song list for the night, but we have loose groupings of genres that we work to. Generally, a wedding runs like this:
1. First Dance (Usually 9:30/10pm)
2. Wedding starter songs (Love is in the air / Pretty Woman… & more!)
3. Jives & Country Jives
4. First Waltz Set (and an old-time waltz if needed)
5. More Jives and Rockabilly Jives (Johnny Cash!)
6. 60’s Pop / Twists
7. Second Waltz Set / Love songs (If needed)
Time for a cup of tea and a cocktail sausage! (Usually 11pm)
8. 70’s, 80’s & 90’s
9. Rock & Pop
10. Celtic Rock (Sawdoctors / The Stunning)
11. Rock N’ Roll / Twists
12. Sing-Song Ending!
Time for the D.J. (Usually 12:15 - 12.30 am)